Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Nature's Transitions

The beauty and transitions of Fall make it my favorite time of the year. The cooler temperatures, the kaleidoscope of nature's colors and the falling leaves all bring on a sense of nostalgia for me. Not necessarily a sad nostalgia, but a very thoughtful time indeed.


As I look back over the years and think about all the transitions in my own life, I see that most of them fit the old cliche that there's always a silver lining behind the cloud. While many of life's transitions deal with loss in the same way that the trees lose their leaves, think of these transitions as a preparation for something better. The leaves fall from the trees, leaving the branches looking sad and barren, but come Spring, there will be a rebirth of new growth everywhere.

If we can look beyond the moment, we will be able to recognize the fact that each change and each transition in our life has a reason, and sometimes a very pleasant consequence if we can just hang in there and ride it through. The pleasant consequences may be nothing more than a valuable lesson learned, but it's a consequence that can positively affect the rest of our life.

I sometimes have to remind myself that like the song says, "the God of the mountain is still God in the valley!" Whether I recognized it at the time or not, God has been with me through each transition of my life - both difficult and good - just like He oversees the transitions in nature. The difference though, is that God considers us to be much more important than the things in nature. What a wonderful blessing is God's love and care for us through all the transitions of our lives!

Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Matthew 6:26


No comments: