Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Joys of Friendship



Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor.
For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls,
for he has no one to help him up. Ecclesiastes 4:9, 10


I have recently been reminded again of the value and joys of true friendship. Today, after a very busy, and sometimes frustrating morning, I spent the afternoon with a very dear friend. She needed help setting up a new phone, and I needed help getting some business taken care of in town. We helped each other, and greatly enjoyed the company during our "exchange of favors." Afterward, I was rewarded with the blessing of sharing a meal with her at her home.

During recent weeks, with the necessity of a sudden move thrust upon me, it has, at times, been difficult to gather my thoughts, and the strength, to accomplish what needs to be done. There is so much that needs to be done, and so many things that need to be acquired or purchased in a short time, in order to set up housekeeping in a new apartment. Once again, friends have gathered around me and come to my rescue with loving support in the form of encouraging words of wisdom, loving hugs, and gifts of household items.

I truly believe that friends are "angels on earth" that God has put in our lives to give us the added spiritual and emotional support that we need. God created us to be social creatures, needing companionship and support from one another. Man was not meant to be "an island unto himself." God has given us many gifts and talents to share with one another, that enable us to give each other just what is needed.

God has truly blessed me with friends who are true, and not afraid to be part of an honest, healthy relationship. I think more than anything else in my life, other than my relationship with God, I am most thankful for the friends who have been with me through thick and thin! They have truly made my life a blessing, and they are to be greatly treasured!

May God bless my friends as richly as He has blessed me!

2 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

Absolutely beautiful thoughts, Martha! You are blessed with good friends --- and your good friends are blessed by you!

Emmie said...

hi...such good words....i must say your have a very nice idea about the sweetest relationship around....and i believe that friendship is the purest form relationship one can have with others....may God bless us all by sending such good angels in the form of friends...u can as well drop by My Friendship Blog sometime to have a glimpse of something u may find interesting!!!