Monday, February 16, 2009

Transitioning to a Simpler Life!


I was enjoying a friend's blog earlier this evening and one thing led to another - literally. She had a lot of links to other blogs, so I checked out a few of those also. Most of them concerned homemaking skills, recipes, hobbies, and other varied interests along those lines.

The ones that seemd to grab my attention the most though, were the ones that spoke of simplifying one's life, and the many different ways to go about accomplishing that. These are the ones that seemed to touch a new need within myself, to declutter and simplify my own life.

I no longer have the desire to have my life governed by my job or my possessions. When I leave the office, I want to truly leave the office - both in body and in spirit. When I arrive at home, I want to relax in a clutter-free zone, and yet live in an environment that speaks of who I am. While my decor tends to be a bit eclectic, there is still the need for order and simplicity.

How is it that we pick up so many different possessions and collections of "things" over the years? How does it start? Does it start with the childish collections that began small, and grow with us, as we grow into adulthood? Can one enjoy a hobby or special interest without it taking over your shelves or your life?

I guess it all comes down to deciding what's important to you. Do you really cherish all those little knickknacks, or has the collection just become a habit that you don't know how to break? Do you really read, or intend to read, all those books, or listen to all that music that you've collected? What is really important to you - deep down within yourself? What gives you peace of mind and the ability to relax?

As always, it's a decision that must be left to the individual, and that individual's ability to prioritize all the "clutter" of life that surrounds us day in and day out. After all, one man's clutter may very well be another man's joy!

These are just the late night ramblings of a tired and cluttered mind . . . and yet, I sense the coming of another transition - just around the corner . . .

No comments: